Friday, August 21, 2009

RUNNING THE RAPIDS

RUNNING THE RAPIDS

The Nantahala River was freezing – even though it was August. I yanked back my right hand, which had been greeted with such a harsh shock by the cold water.

And then the rapids started coming…one after the other. As I was seated in the front of the raft, I was the one who got smashed – every time – with the frigid water that hit me in the face and body like a ton of steel.

“Wait a minute…it’s August!” I kept thinking. But then I realized that I really shouldn’t have been surprised.

After all, I knew about the Nantahala Gorge. I had climbed it before (see July 22 blog entry). Actually, I had been climbing and hiking in this section of Great Smokey Mountains National Park for years. And I had run tougher rivers in the area…the French Broad (yes, it’s called the French Broad!), the Tuckeseegee (it’s called “The Tuck”).

And I had been warned by other whitewater devotees that the flow in the Nantahala was frigid even in summer – low forties – perhaps because much of it had been snowmelt, controlled by the engineers at the Fontana Dam a few miles upriver.

So why was I so shocked when I quickly pulled my hand from the frothy water, or when it smacked me right in the face? Because, I think, reality is often different than perception. To put it in PR terms, you can prepare for something…but that doesn’t mean you’re actually ready for it.

Those of you who know me well know that my two passions in life are my work and outdoor adventure. And that I often see parallels between the two.

My trip through the mostly-Class II and occasional-Class III rapids of the Nantahala Gorge (V is considered world-class) last week was full of such parallels.

For one thing, someone in a neighboring boat went over the side. He was a huge guy, who had flipped off his boat and had, somehow, managed to find his footing amidst the rushing waters and slippery rocks enough to make it to the riverbank. But now he was stranded there.

We had to stop and try to get him back to his boat, because it’s sort of an unwritten law on the river that you don’t leave someone behind. And that took a lot of coordination, a lot of arm-locking across the rapids, a lot of shouting over the roar of the water to people who were only a foot or two away, a lot of nimble feet to keep from getting trapped under the rocks at the bottom…and a lot of teamwork. Again, a PR parallel.

Finally, of course, we got the big guy back to his raft. And it occurred to me then, as we took off again, that, really, everything we were doing had to be done in the spirit of teamwork and cooperation. Each of us had to try to power our oars through the rough waters at the same cadence, with the same stroke (depth-wise) and with the same purpose.

But that wasn’t all. Each of us had our own individual functions, as well. As the guy in the front, I was a kind of “point man,” calling out what was ahead, looking for dead trees in the water, trying to point the craft in the right direction, etc. (and, of course, yelling back to the others, “Man, this water’s f_____’in freezing!!”). The people in the middle of the craft had their responsibilities, as well, along with the man in back, who knew the Nantahala Gorge – every curve and every downed tree and every boulder – like the back of his hand.

There was plenty more that I recognized, as well, as parallels with public relations. My arms should have been tired. But they weren’t. I should have been dehydrated, because the temperature that day was close to 100, and, when you’re running the rapids, there’s no time for a quick swig of water. But I wasn’t. I should have been mentally exhausted. But I wasn’t.

In fact, the feelings I had were just the opposite. I was elated. Energized. Empowered. Because I had done my job. Because I was in “The Zone”…where you don’t feel physical or emotional stress because you know, at that moment, you’re at the top of your game, and nothing can stop you. Because I was part of a team. And because – individually as well as cooperatively – I had taken on a challenge and triumphed.

And those are the same types of feelings that I get from my profession. (In fact, as I’m writing this, I’m actually in The Zone right now…just today, I had one of my clients interviewed by both the CBS and ABC affiliates here in Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale. And I feel energized as hell from that!)

My trip down the Nantahala Gorge helped me realize (again) something that I’m fortunate enough to feel so many times in the PR profession - that there is incredible joy in work well-done.

My whitewater rafting-PR parallels, in a nutshell:

* Our profession – particularly these days – often feels like we’re running the
rapids.
* Teamwork and cooperation are more essential than ever.
* Just because we’re assigned one specific duty that no one else may be doing,
that doesn’t mean that we’re not part of “The Team.”
* Know your role…as an individual and as a team-member.
* When you’re in “The Zone”…nothing else matters. Just go with it. And enjoy the
hell out of it.
* Keep a sharp eye out for unexpected obstacles. And that goes double when things
are going smoothly.
* Be aware that things aren’t always what they seem.
* Recognize that being “prepared” for something does not always mean that you’re
actually ready for it.
* Even while you’re handling one challenge, always keep an eye out for the next one.

And, lastly, watch out for that “frigid water”…even in summer!

Steve Winston
President, WINSTON COMMUNICATIONS
(954) 575-4089
steve@winstoncommunications.com
www.winstoncommunications.com

No comments:

Post a Comment