Sunday, August 2, 2009

FACE TO FACE, IN A DIGITAL WORLD

FACE-TO-FACE, IN A DIGITAL WORLD

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who still values face-to-face (or, at least, phone-to-phone) communication in business. And sometimes I feel like the guy holding the candle in the dark, yelling out forlornly, “Doesn’t anyone know that personal communication is still one of the most effective ways to practice public relations?”

I can still remember my discomfort at listening to a senior executive, several years ago, as he walked me around his company, bragging about their new “solutions.” "You don't even need human beings to do it!” he said happily. “There's no human interaction necessary!"

How sad, I remember thinking. Who, exactly, did he think invented this particular product or service or system (or “solution”)? Who did he suppose was going to market it? Who did he suppose was going to sell it? Who did he suppose was going to publicize it? And who did he suppose was going to buy it, and use it? Androids?

It's a crazy world out there, true; and many of us don't even have time to go to the bathroom, let alone actually nurture business relationships, by using more personal forms of communication. But it seems to me that this is still - perhaps more so than ever, since most of us don’t do it - one of the best ways of communicating. And keep in mind that communicating with our publics is one of the reasons we use the word “relationships.”

I like to think of myself as pretty well-attuned to – and generally pretty excited about – all the new and evolving ways of participating in electronic conversation. Yet, I can still fondly remember writing letters to out-of-state friends! As late as the nineties! With a pen and paper, not a computer! Why did I go to all that trouble? Simple. Because I knew the recipient would appreciate a hand-written letter more than they would an e-mail.

I still like to look into the eyes of the person with whom I’m communicating, if possible. When I was in the corporate world, I always made a point of actually walking to someone’s office when I wanted to talk to them, rather than sending an e-mail. If they were located elsewhere, I often made a point of calling them. Because you can pick up things – either in person or on the phone – that you just can’t pick up electronically. And, conversely, you can communicate things, either in person or on the phone, that you just can’t communicate electronically.

Why am I talking, in today’s blog, about more personal means of communication? Simple. It’s still one of the most effective ways of communicating with the people whom you’re trying to get to publicize your company or client.

I still take the trouble to nurture long-time relationships with journalists, for example, with occasional phone calls – just to say hello – rather than e-mails.

I know, I know…who the hell has time, these days, to actually make phone calls to the media, either to start a relationship or to nurture one? You could get out ten e-mails in the time it takes to speak with one journalist. But there’s one thing we should recognize: Public relations people who take the time to nurture these relationships, I believe, have an added edge to their “game.” And it’s still important, in our business, to develop and maintain good all-around communications skills.

It can actually serve to – believe it or not – to enhance your electronic communications. And it’s one of the best ways I know of to stay genuinely "connected."

Steve Winston
President, WINSTON COMMUNICATIONS
(954) 575-4089
steve@winstoncommunications.com
www.winstoncommunications.com

No comments:

Post a Comment